The Human Side of Medicine Inspiring Wellness
Welcome to Mind Body Medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center Orlando. We believe there are many paths to healing and that health is a cohesive balance of mind, body and soul. Through education, research and treatment modalities we seek to reduce symptoms, promote well being, nurture hope and prevent disease.
Our mission is to build a bridge between standard medical care and the body’s natural healing potential.
This bridge is built when:
- Health is enriched by knowledge and practice, both ancient and modern;
- The most advanced medical science and compassion meet mind and body;
- The ultimate goal is wellness, vitality and quality of life.
We look forward to supporting you.
Jeanne Miller-Clark, Manager of Mind Body Medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center Orlando
“Energy Medicine is an absolutely amazing approach to relieving the symptoms that I was experiencing. It is such a wonderful complement to chemotherapy and it seems to enhance the effectiveness of my treatment. It is so wonderful to feel good again.” – Cancer patient
- Energy medicine is an approach to healing that treats the subtle energy patterns of the body in order to ease the unpleasant and painful symptoms of illness.
- Energy medicine is gentle, non-invasive, and does not interfere with conventional treatments in any way. Practitioners work the energy system of the body with a light touch using the acupuncture meridians.
- Many patients have reported that energy medicine has brought relief from specific symptoms and has improved appetite, mood, sleep patterns and vitality, thus enhancing their quality of life.
- Each patient must have a referral from their physician to receive an energy medicine session.
- An Energy Medicine Study Group meets monthly on the third Wednesday evening at ORMC. For more information please call 321.841.5056.
- Patients, family members, staff and community may also attend our monthly energy medicine class to learn techniques that can be practiced at home.
“Walking the labyrinth helps me to hold an uncertain future.” – Patient family member
- Modeled after the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral near Paris, France, the labyrinth is located on the fourth floor terrace of MD Anderson Cancer Center Orlando. We were the 2nd hospital in the country to begin offering a labyrinth for its patient/families, staff and local community. The labyrinth is an ancient healing tool used as a walking meditation or embodied prayer. Ninety-eight percent of walkers report feeling more peaceful after walking this simple path.
- The class “Walking the Labyrinth” is taught on a regular basis; see current MD Anderson - Orlando Educational brochure for dates. The class provides a guided walk, and delves into the meaning, purpose, history and benefits from regular walking of this purposeful path.
- Walking the labyrinth can have a calming and restorative effect on blood pressure and stress levels. Instructions are located at the entrance of the labyrinth on the fourth floor outdoor plaza.
- The labyrinth is available to walk weekdays from 7 am to 6 pm.
“There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.” – Bernard-Paul Heroux, 1900's Basque philosopher
Once a week at MD Anderson Cancer Center Orlando, British tea is poured into elegant bone china cups, served with homemade clotted cream, pastries and lemon curd to provide respite from the daily pace of life in a sacred space.
- High tea is served every Thursday from 2:00 to 3:00 pm in the fifth floor day room, and every first Tuesday of the month from 2:00 to 3:00 pm in the tea area. Join us and experience the beauty and elegance of high tea.
- Historically, the ritual of high tea has been used as an oasis of peace even in the midst of war.
Artists in Residence Program
- Twice a week (Tuesday) on the 5th floor of MD Anderson – Orlando, we offer an Artist in Residence program that allows patients receiving infusion therapy to paint in their room.
- This program is offered in collaboration with United Arts of Central Florida,
- Baker Barrios Architects the Orlando Health Foundation.
Our classes rotate every six month. They are taught by masters in their fields and are designed to give you practical tools to inspire health and well-being. Our standard recurring classes are:
- Energy Medicine I and Energy Medicine II
- Walking the Labyrinth
- Gentle Yoga
- The Creative Arts Workshop
For detailed information on our classes and events please click here
. If you would like more information about Mind Body Medicine, please call 321.841.5056.