Frequently Asked Questions
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
You must be at least 18 years old to participate in our adult volunteer services.
Can I begin volunteering tomorrow?
You must complete and pass a screening process that includes:
- Criminal background check
- TB skin test and a drug/alcohol urinalysis
- Verification of personal references along with a completed application
- Personal interview with the volunteer manager
- Orientation to the program and facility
What type of commitment are you looking for?
We are looking for four hours on the same day each week.
What if I am going on vacation or otherwise need to take time from my volunteering schedule?
Not a problem; we just ask that you let us know when you will be away so that we may call a substitute while you are out.
What are the benefits provided to the volunteer by the hospital?
You are allowed one meal (up to $5) in any hospital cafeteria each time you volunteer at least four hours and:
- Free parking
- 10% discount in any hospital Gift Shop
- Free hepatitis vaccinations and annual flu shots (optional) and PPD/tuberculosis test (required)
- Invitation to Orlando Health Volunteer Appreciation Event
- Invitation to Recognition/Appreciation Event especially for MD Anderson - Orlando volunteers
- Employee rate at Orlando Health Wellness Center
- Discount tickets to theme parks, restaurants, and movie theaters (in Human Resources office)
- Weekly newsletter In Touch
What about parking at the hospital?
You may park in the C-deck parking garage on the third floor near the elevator in spaces marked "Volunteers Only."
Do I have to wear a uniform?
Yes, there is a free golf shirt or smock provided by the Volunteer Department for you to wear along with your own navy or black slacks and comfortable walking shoes.
Can I come in whenever I have the time to volunteer?
After orientation, you will be assigned to a service and commit to one day a week and come in on the same day each week.
I want to volunteer. What do I do now?
Submit an application and send it to Lauretta Donovan, volunteer and guest services manager. She will contact you about openings that might be of interest to you.